Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
G1 X Mark II Loses Exposure Lock Button
7 months ago

My thanks to VisionLight for posting a link to the G1 X II manual in English.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53310577

This finally answers the question of where the Exposure Lock button (*) went on the back of the G1 X II and why.

It appears that the Macro and Manual Focus options have been separated in a strange way.  Choosing macro is now done by clicking the wheel to the left, as always, but now there are only two options, normal and macro, and one must still hit the Func/Set button to lock the setting in place.  Oddly enough, pressing MF also requires pressing the Func/Set button to lock in place despite MF having its own dedicated button.

In order to lock exposure one must half-press the shutter button and press up on the dial.  As much as I disagree about most issues people bring up about the image quality from the currently sad array of test shots posted online as well as other complaints about the viewfinder, sensor, or whatever, I have to say this Exposure Lock change in favor of a poorly implemented Manual Focus setting is kind of annoying.  If the MF button instantly set the camera to MF that would make a little sense and certainly in the context of having two control rings on the front of the camera that make manual focus much more usable, but exposure lock has now lost its dedicated, one-touch function button.

This might not be a deal breaker, but man....really dumb, Canon.  Really dumb.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow