Photo Challenges - Do they help you improve?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm happy
In reply to Graham Meale, 7 months ago

Graham Meale wrote:

Over the years various people have asked why I haven't joined a camera club. I like my photos; if others like them too, good; if they don't, it doesn't matter. (I can say this because I've never set out to make an income from photography; that it has given me some financial rewards over time is just a bonus.)

Thanks to all for the great comments in this thread. I've been reading them all.

I have no current ambition to make any serious money from this craft but I do care what others think of my photos. I enjoy sharing my work with others and doubt that I would have much interest if I couldn't or didn't share them. I want to show them them the beautiful things I see in the most appealing way possible. I want to entertain them. That is what drives me to improve.

The risk of striving to improve your technique is that you are forever looking for faults in photos, and wonderful memories from years ago become tainted

I understand your point but that hasn't been my experience. I look back on older favorite photos and see how much knowledge I have gained that I now see what I could have been done better. It doesn't affect MY enjoyment of the photo. I want to be better tomorrow than I am today. That is what drives me to improve.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow