Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to rickreyn, 4 months ago

rickreyn wrote:

I really don't like changing lenses (a bit clumsy with these kinds of things in the heat of battle), because that also means I need a bag, and using a sling and the grip, I've got two batteries, and I don't seem to feel the tension that I need a brighter lens, or longer lens hardly at all, unless I'm going to shoot sports, etc. Further, the entire kit is weather-proof. I know prime lenses will be better in low light and sharper (perhaps?), but I am really thrilled with the 12-40mm, and I don't really know what I'm missing. Frankly, I've not owned a better lens, and the coveted ranges of 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 80mm are covered. So, outside of what little additional range the 45mm will give me, or what the Sigma 60mm or 75mm will give me, I seem to be well covered, knowing that I have the 40-150mm lens in my hip pocket, while not as fast, appears to be a pretty good lens. So, all my endless contemplation re: what one prime do I get to wow people or myself, I'm now not so sure it's necessary, mainly because this time I didn't scrimp and got the really good all-in-one never-take-it-off-the-camera "pro quality" constant aperature lens.

My question--or maybe my observation is this. Is the 12-40mm lens good enough to forego primes, and is the 40-150mm good enough to cover the rest?

Ergo am I'm done...at least for now! Sages weigh in. Thanks.

I'd break it down as follows:

Sharpness: The 12-40 will be roughly on a par with or better than the primes with all lenses at f/2.8, except for the 45/1.8, which is likely to do somewhat better (due to the 12-40 not being quite as good toward the long end as toward the short when you shoot it wide open).

Vignetting: The primes will be better in this regard with all lenses at f/2.8, so that effectively they will collect a bit more light in this case.

DoF control/light accumulation: The primes offer 1+ EV extra.

Then it's entirely up to you how much any of the above matters.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow