Are ALL manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Serge 07
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Are ALL manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?
In reply to mistermejia, 7 months ago

Assuming your adapter is not the culprit, it depends on the lens.  The Nikon 1.8G primes are all sharp wide open so your results with the D7000 are spot on. On the other hand, the Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIs is known for its soft character wide open due to the heavy coma which some folks seem to enjoy and hence its allure. It is also a bear to achieve accurate focus wide open due to the razor thin depth of field. Stopping down the 50/1.2 to f/2.0 it becomes super sharp plus much easier to focus.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to do a lot of shooting with my Nikon manual focus lenses, but thus far, they all they all work perfectly with the X-E1. The Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs, 55/2.8 AIs Micro and 105/2.5 Ai are all sharp wide open. What I find interesting, is that the 28/2.8 AIs performs better with the X-E1 than with the D40 or D7000 I briefly owned. With the Nikon bodies I would see PF at times and with the Fuji, zero.

I'm not sure one has to spend a lot of coin for an adapter. I have the $25 Fotodiox Pro (no aperture ring) and works perfectly.

Good hunting!

Serge 07's gear list:Serge 07's gear list
Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow