Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
sapralot
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice for portrait lenses
In reply to Rservello, 9 months ago

Rservello,

Thanks a lot!

I'm of the same opinion, I prefer buying two or three lenses of high quality to building up a huge arsenal of mediocre lenses... But before I spend a great deal of money for a Zeiss I'd like to gain some experience with manual focussing.

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 is a great glass without question, but considering its weight it may not be the best walk around lens? (The same holds true for the 50 f/1.4?)

PS. From where did you get your Rokinon lenses?

Rservello wrote:

50mm 1.4g isn't worth the extra expense. If you want a G lens in 50, get a 1.8g since it haa an aspherical element and 1.4 is basically useless since it's so vignetted it loses almost an entire stop, negating your half stop gain. I shoot a 1.8d and use f2 as my highest setting and get amazingly narrow dof. If you can afford zeiss or sigma art, I would say that's a much better optical purchase that will retain its value if well maintained. As for ai-s lenses. I think the are better than af-s. Optics are cleaner, and they aren't cheap plastic barrels. I personally don't care for current nikkor lenses. 1.8d is the exception because it's small, light, and sharp as a tack.

I have a rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens that I love to death. Well recommended, and very reasonably priced. I have a voigtlander 58mm f1/4 on its way to me. I'll report back once I get to shoot it, but im excited!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow