Photo Challenges - Do they help you improve?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
I'm happy
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

I've only rarely visited the "challenges" but on each occasion my impression was that most entries are pretty ordinary. Occasionally some brilliant work, but only very occasionally. Over the years various people have asked why I haven't joined a camera club. I like my photos; if others like them too, good; if they don't, it doesn't matter. (I can say this because I've never set out to make an income from photography; that it has given me some financial rewards over time is just a bonus.)

The risk of striving to improve your technique is that you are forever looking for faults in photos, and wonderful memories from years ago become tainted when you look back at them and think "I should have framed that differently" or "I should have focussed on the foreground", etc.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow