Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,901Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?
In reply to TravelLight, 4 months ago

TravelLight wrote:

I have ordered X-T1 and the following lenses: 14mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, 55-200mm. So, with the lens sale ending soon, is there another lens I should buy?

I mainly do landscape, animals (my cat and wildlife encountered while hiking), street, and want to get into macro (mainly flowers and creatures on flowers/grass/leaves, etc.).

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street all that much, and already have 18-55? I really like 56mm but the price is so high that I definitely won't buy unless I have a real need (I don't do weddings or formal portraits -- not a pro).

Thanks!

The 18-55 is not a bad lens, in fact IMO one of the better zooms on the market right now - compared to other zooms that is!

The 23/1.4 is a completely different beast, it is not just the faster glass and separation but a rendering of light that sure is something special. Have only seen this in samples of the 56/1.2 there is something truly special about the effortlessness in which the lens renders light.

Here is one I took a couple of months ago in Melbourne, I had the 14, the 18-55 and the 23/1.4 with me and used the 14 and the 23 exclusively for the day, except 2 images I took with the zoom ...

After that trip I sold the 18-55. Harsh, because as I said not a bad lens, but the 23 just in a completely different league:

Here are some samples of the 23 (and below the 56) a similar rendering IMO:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_xf_23mm_f1_4_review/sample_images/

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_xf_56mm_f1_2_review/sample_images/

Good luck!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow