A6000 new 24Mp sensor. So what lenses will do better on 24Mp than on 16Mp?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
A6000 new 24Mp sensor. So what lenses will do better on 24Mp than on 16Mp?
9 months ago

"New" as in gapless on-chip microlens design (some say it accounts for cleaner high ISO due to more photons hitting sensor pixels and in addition better results with WA lenses, as in less fringing issues), "better" RGB filter layer - whatever that means (some say it gives better or true natural colors), coupled with faster processor BIONZ-X (selective noise reduction, diffraction control, better jpeg engine etc.) should theoretically give boost to IQ in general.

However, I'm trying to understand exactly what is the ratio or formula for sensor vs lens resolving power -I mean which one out resolves which, what lenses will be perfect match for A6000 24Mp sensor? We all have read and seen DXO lens testing results and its "perceptual Megapixels" characteristic of lenses. Usually this "perceptual Megapixels" are much lower than sensor's Mp resolution. For example best E-mount lenses are at around 13Mp of "perceptual Megapixels". So does this mean that we are at best effectively getting an image with only true 13Mp resolution? Because that is very frustrating as is all this "perceptual" thing. Does this mean that in this case sensor out-resolves lenses? Because, so far I've heard opposite that lenses still outresolve sensors. What's going on with this contradicting information?

Another interesting thing is that for example 50mm f1.8 Sony prime lens has 13Mp of "perceptual Mp's" on 24Mp sensor of NEX-7 while the same 50mm lens has 14Mp of "perceptual Mp's" on 20Mp sensor of A3000. Basically as I understand SEL50 mm lens will give better or more sharp or detailed image rather than on NEX-7. That again does not make sense and is very confusing for me.

So what lenses exactly we can expect to give us sharper results on 24Mp A6000 camera rather than on other lower res 20Mp and 16Mp Sony cameras like A3000/NEX-5N/6 etc?

Another strange thing surfaced with recent Allin Popescu review of A6000 with 16-50 kit and Zeiss 16-70 lenses. Apparently 16-50 was sharper on A6000 sensor? Could that mean that apart from all this "perceptual Mp's" crap and sensor vs lens out-resolving issue, there is another issue of optimizing a sensor to work best with specific lens (or lenses) like RX1 was matched with Zeiss's 35mm lens? I don't know how it's done, by tweaking some hardware in the sensor or simply software corrections or not, but it looks like this adds to a mess and chaos with all this "perceptual Mp's" and strange performances of lenses on different sensors.

That's why I really want to know - simply what lenses are you guys consider a best match to upcoming A6000 camera? I mean I would not want to buy a lens that costs a lot, but performs worse on this sensor than on 20Mp/16Mp one. Or a lens that clearly is not pushing the sensor to its limits.

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow