Advice for portrait lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200
In reply to Al Giordano, 8 months ago

+ 1

Like the OP, I stepped up from a D90 to a FX D600 when they first came out so went through a similar decision process. The real question for OP to consider is his /her portrait shooting style. For example, do you prefer more "formal" portraits with tripods and studio lighting or more informal, hand held environmental portraits, or a mixture or something else.

I find the 70-200 F4 VR a very good all-round lens for portraiture but it is not the best. There are better lenses but, unless you have a particular shooting style you will have to buy many to cover your likely different scenarios.

My favourites are: 58 F1.4G - beautiful gentle rendering wide open; 85 F1.8G - crazy sharp with excellent length; 105 F2.8 micro - pleasing all-rounder; my mate's 200 F2 VRII - super sharp and the creamiest bokeh (when I can hold it for long enough)!

Overall, if I had to take just one lens to an unknown location it would be the 70-200 F4 VR as it will do the job just about anywhere. To this I would add a good 35mm to cover those wider shots.

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow