Couple of questions - Sony a6000

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Euell
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?
Re: Couple of questions - Sony a6000
In reply to mrbenji, 4 months ago

mrbenji wrote:

So, the a6000 tries to recover some of the resolution lost to lenses that aren't up to that 24MP quality...I'll have to read it later. Thanks !

He's referring to Sony's "Diffraction Reduction" technology -- that doesn't actually have to do with compensating for glass that a sensor out-resolves. Instead, it's intended to compensate for the effects of diffraction... diffraction is a physical effect that causes reduced fine detail at high (small) apertures, regardless of how good the lens is.

A drawback to higher-megapixel sensors is that diffraction begins at larger apertures vs. lower-megapixel sensors of the same physical size (APS-C, FF, etc.). As I understand it, however, "diffraction limits" aren't hard limits beyond which image quality drops of a cliff, but rather are the beginning of a downward curve, i.e. they are the aperture number beyond which effective resolution begins to gradually erode.

Is that accurate? I believe that diffraction is not dependent on the resolution of the sensor, but rather on the physical size of the sensor (e.g., APSC, full frame, etc.).  Increasing the resolution of the same size sensor should not increase diffraction at the same F stop.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ILCENew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow