One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?
Re: One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?
In reply to jadot, 7 months ago

Thank you for your kind words and and I wish you well with your final decision.

Now another curve ball for you to stare down... why the 70-200 F2.8 VRII over the 70-200 F4 VRIII?

My photo friends and I faced this choice last year and we all went for the F4 with money not being an issue. The F4 is a simply stunning performer and what turned us was the much smaller size, weight and unbelievable VR performance.This lens is light enough to carry around all day and will never disappoint and we simply do not miss the F2.8 stop.

If you are a wedding, event or action sports shooter, that may be a different matter!

Otherwise, with the money saved buy a TC14eII, keep the change and you will get an F5.6 FX 105-280 or DX 145-420 with image degradation of around 5% only. Versatile, very sharp and very well stabilised for hand held opportunities.

D600 HH 70-200F4 1/6 sec F4 200mm ISO 1600 -2 EV spot meter OOC VR on reduced size

This early "test shot" taken handheld, wide open at 1/6 sec in very humid conditions after a long day on foot illustrates the VR performance and shooting opportunities it creates. I still marvel at the detail in the very small 100% crop of a weird angle on Sydney's Opera House. The images are jpgs straight out of the camera with absolutes no PP.

D600 HH 70-200F4 1/6 sec F4 200mm ISO 1600 -2 EV spot meter OOC VR on 100% crop

BTW, do not even consider an optional "foot" for this lens, it is so light and well-balanced tripod-mounted on a D600 it is unnecessary and IMHO that is why Nikon made it optional.

Finally, there are current and recent good threads on the choice between these 2 lenses at the "Nikon SLR Lens Talks" forum.

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow