ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,863
Like?
I finally received my Pentax HD 1.4X AW
6 months ago

Hi folks,

I finally received my Pentax HD 1.4X AW today.

In addition to the lenses listed at http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/converter/lc-1_4x-aw/ (Take note that the DA15, DA21, and DA40mm XS lenses are not listed there. The paperwork I received states that they will not fit to the 1.4X converter without hitting the elements.)

...I also did a quick test just for the EXIF readings of the following lenses. All of them shows the corrected focal length and aperture.

Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 400/5.6 Tele-macro, Sigma 300/4 Tele-macro, Sigma 300/2.8 APO EX DG, Tamron autofocusing 300/2.8 LD [IF], Pentax FA*400/5.6, Pentax FA*300/4.5, Pentax-F*300/4.5, Pentax FA*200/2.8, and Pentax FA135/2.8.

A look at the cameras LCD indicates to me that all of the above can be quite useful with the 1.4X AW.

The corrected focal length and aperture does not occur with the 1.4X AW + Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO DG OS HSM. It still works the same (not very good) as if I had a Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF attached.

It appears to me that this is going to be a great addition for use with the DA*60-250/4 and DA*300/4 as has already been shown by a couple of folks.

IMO the Pentax 1.4X AW is worth the price for use with the DA*60-250/4 and DA*300/4 lenses. However, I am not quite sure yet if it is worth the price for use with the F* and FA* lenses as well as the Sigma lenses I listed above. You do gain corrected focal length and aperture but I am not quite sure if the image quality will be any different from the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF (Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF) or the Sigma teleconverters on the Sigma lenses. I guess what I am really trying to say is if you already have a Tamron or Kenko and you do not have a DA*60-250/4 or DA*300/4 then I don't think I would rush to buy this new Pentax 1.4X AW just yet. Note: Right at this minute I think it might be worth the cost for use with the Sigma 500/4.5 just for the corrected focal length and aperture of that particular lens.

I have no comment, so far, concerning the speed of focus and lock on.

As I test my new Pentax 1.4X AW with my various lenses I will post images for all to view and critique.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow