Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
OlympusTog
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to rickreyn, 8 months ago

I have an Olympus 12-40 and Panasonic 14-140 (f/3.5-5.6) and the same applies to me re changing lenses. I am about to shoot my first wedding with my EM-1 and EM-5 with the two lenses attached respectively (I have shot numerous weddings using Canon Pro bodies and L lenses and this is my first foray into the M43 camp) - I changed due to all the weight I was carrying and the aching arms afterwards from the heavier bodies and lenses. I do have the Olympus 60mm macro for closeup work if necessary but I do prefer not to change lenses and the constant 2.8 on the 12-40 has convinced me to stay with the zooms - the EM-1 will be my main camera at the wedding and the EM-5 as a backup with the Panosonic on for the odd candid/back of the church type shot. However, I spoke to a pro tog recentlly who shoots weddings using two EM-1's, one with the 12-40 and one with the 17mm 2.8. So to answer your question, go with what feels right for your style of photography, mine is using two zooms, the 12-40 is tack sharp, the Pano is also very sharp at 5.6 fully zoomed out, as for the extra light, just pump up the ISO - noise is handled very well at ISO 1600 on both cameras. Horses for courses etc.

-- hide signature --

Phil

OlympusTog's gear list:OlympusTog's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow