Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to Pepyn, 8 months ago

Pepyn wrote:

Well this forum topic (plus a bunch of reviews) resulted in me today changing my order from a prime (17mm f1.8) to instead purchase the 12-40 with a view to it replacing the need for a bunch of primes (e.g. 12, 17, 25, 45) and ultimately lower cost.

The decision was very much helped along by the fact that I struggle with mid session lens changes - simply put it frustrates me, and I'll often forego a shot simply because of the time / effort / risk of a lens swap.In saying that I do have the 60mm macro as I really want to get into that side of things, although that lens has a steep learning curve! My previous camera was a Pany Z150.

I think my set up will eventually be complete at 12-40, 60mm macro and 40-150 (not PRO).

I must say the 12-40 is not light! (all those primes combined would maybe be lighter?). Nor perfectly balanced on my EM-10. I'm a bit scared holding the camera without a supporting hand on the lens. Optional grip is on the way.

Cheers,

Pepyn

After reading through this thread, I came to the realization that while I do have a nice set of lenses for special purposes (Oly 9-18 wide angle for landscape and "artsy" closeup work, Oly 45mm for portraits, Panny 20mm for low light, Oly 60mm macro for insect shooting, Oly 14-150 for outdoor use at parks/zoo), I don't have a really good, fairly fast, sharp lens for the normal day in and day out stuff in the range of 24-80mm (ff equiv).  The closest I come is the Olympus 14-42 R II kit zoom, and the Oly 12-50 weather sealed lens.  Those lenses are OK, but they definitely aren't as fast or as sharp as the 12-40.

What I'm really after is a lens that is similar in performance to the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens I had for my Sony SLT cameras.  That was my most-used lens when I had that system...I used it for everything from shots in old churches and cemeteries, to a wedding, to a baby shower.  I felt its focal range and constant f/2.8 made it a tremendously useful lens.  From what I've read, the Olympus 12-40 should be at least as good if not better.

Sooo...I'm probably going to get sell the two kit zooms and buy the 12-40mm.  Later on down the road, I may sell the 20mm and replace it with the upcoming Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, but that can wait a bit.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow