What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*
In reply to Pasmia, 9 months ago

I am not certain exactly which factors make images from a full frame sensor look better than those from smaller formats but I agree that they do look better.

I have just purchased a Sony a7 and it is a pleasure to edit the images in Lightroom/Photoshop compared to my smaller format cameras. Plus, I can crop more and operate at higher ISO than before.

I think that the ability to get fine images at high ISO e.g >800 has been one of the great developments in modern photography. A full frame camera simply does that better.

Since the a7 is roughly the same size and cost as some high end m4/3 cameras, I couldn't see any good reason not to go full frame for the better image quality.

There is the "bigger lens" argument but my 35 and 55 lens are compact and light and I only require a 24 and 100 to complete my system. I generally use my DSLR for telephoto use because of the improved handling with bigger lenses and its tracking ability.

Sure, the limiting factor for artistic images is the photographer but perhaps one day I will take that special image and I want to make sure that camera isn't limiting my ability to do so.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow