Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
khunfred
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed
In reply to fuji P, 4 months ago

fuji P wrote:

Sorry - but this really "Gets my Goat".

People keep posting about focusing speed - this camera is faster than that camera - with this lens - with that lens - with this turned on - with that turned off!!!!!

When you take a picture, you think about the finished scene / subject and how you want the photo to look, you compose the scene, check your settings, check 100 other things then - focus. The focusing is the least time consuming part of the process and in my view, unless you are shooting sport, moving wildlife, fast moving subjects etc. the time it takes is not critical.

If anyone can provide an image where a shot was ruined due to focusing speed being a nano second slower than expected or can tell a story where they missed a once in a lifetime shot because of "slow" focusing - I would like to hear it.

Awaiting the flood.

Actually, you're asking photographers to show the shot they weren't able to get. Funny guy.
Secondly, the way you're shooting shows you're a "slow shooter". I'm a slow shooter too. I don't need a fast AF, I don't shoot action, sports or car races. BUT...everyone can easily understand his neighbour has different waits. Then, people will answer: "For tens of years, photographers have been able shooting without AF": that's right. When I was a kid, I used to watch TV in black and white. But it was another era: I've got long hair, now I'm skinhead. Simple example, "in the good old days", lenses got decent focus rings. Did u have a look on recent lenses? Do you really think you can focus quickly and easily with a X100 and a fast subject? What lens has a distance scale? It's not only a matter of speed, it's also and mainly a question of adequacy between different tools and different types of photographies. The X photographers are lucky guys: they can use decent, even not fastest Af, but more, they can get "old style" lenses. Some people will not understand why these lenses are expensive: tell them about distance scale, focus ring, f-ring... By the way, if you didn't noticed before, even a Fuji boss will say this brand needs to improve AF. That said, I'm very happy with my X100s.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow