Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,590
Like?
Re: My own conclusions
In reply to Pasmia, 6 months ago

Pasmia wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Pasmia wrote:

The idea that a M43 25/1.4 will take the same picture as a FF 50/2.8 was proven wrong by some dude, can't find source.

I'd love to see that. I'm not sure I'd draw conclusions from a memory of "some dude" !

The best way to prove this would be to take a 25mm ff lens, such as a Leica M 24mm Summilux and put it on a Sony A7. If you crop the image down 4X, you will get a much similar image, in respect to depth of field, to a M43 camera with the same lens adapted on to it rather than putting a 50mm Summilux on the A7 and comparing that to the 24mm on a M43 camera.

So 25mm on FF cropped down to m43 size is similar to putting 25mm on m43 in the first place, true. But that doesn't prove that it's different from putting a 50mm lens on FF and not cropping (but shooting at the same size aperture).

Basically, if you crop a picture taken with a 24mm lens to match the framing of 50mm lens and both are set to the same aperture, the shot with the 50mm lens will still have more blur than the 24mm lens.

But that's not what you said :

The idea that a M43 25/1.4 will take the same picture as a FF 50/2.8 was proven wrong by some dude, can't find source.

Anyways, you can find what I was referring to as "some dude" here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50650140

He shows f/1.4 versus f/1.4. Everyone knows you'll get shallower DOF and more background blur (well, except for one person in the thread) with FF in that case.

So if that's it - that FF gives you the potential for shallower DOF - then I agree that it's certainly part of the look of FF, but only part, because there's only a limited number of shots taken with such shallow DOF that you couldn't achieve the same on m43.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow