Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
In reply to technic, 9 months ago

technic wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

technic wrote:

... I guess Nikon is not going to sell a fixed lens camera that directly competes with their V3 (including a much better lens that is not available for Nikon 1 system).

Exactly! After the V3 announcement I am more and more convinced that there will be no P8000 at all, or if it is then it will be a continuation of the P7xxx series, i.e. using a 1/1.7" sensor.

Interchangable lens cameras don't compete with fixed-lens cameras. You're either "buying a camera" or "building a system". These are two different mindsets, with different price ranges, useful for different scenarios, and attract (mostly) different sets of customers.

In theory you may be right, in practice you are wrong. The lens-to-body ratio for m43 (another in-between sensor size) is just 1.3.

Can you post a link that would expand a bit on this "Lens-to-body ratio"?  Such a number could also mean that people upgrade camera bodies while keeping the lenses.

The majority of the people who buy these ILC's never buy an extra lens.

Could be.  I'd be interested to see a link where this information came from.

And regarding price, did you mean that the fixed lens cameras are more expensive and for a different group of buyers?

A system based on an interchangeable-lens camera is significantly more expensive than a fixed-lens camera with the similar capabilities.

Sure, you can pick up an end-of-lifecycle-firesale body for next-to-nothing, but even a single a fast lens will make things a lot more expensive.

Look at all those older m43 cameras flying of the shelves for $150-250 including kit zoom ... way cheaper than even the aging RX100.

I'm sure manufacturers are aware of the competition from old models and the used market.  But if that was the *only* market, they would've been out of business long ago.

I bet those older / cheaper models outnumber expensive ones like OMD.

Considering how many different Pens and Gs were made, you're probably right.  What's your point?

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow