Native DSLR mount mirrorless cameras. Why not?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sportyaccordy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?
Native DSLR mount mirrorless cameras. Why not?
9 months ago

Originally I was going to make a thread asking why DSLR lenses need mirrors to focus, but then I remembered the 70D. Not to mention the K-01.

So now my question is, do you think a native mount MILC from CaNikon could work? I do. Such a system would address a lot of people's gripes about mirrorless. Lack of lenses would obviously not be an issue. And mirrorless lenses are the same size as their DSLR equivalents. 70D shows OSPDAF can be high performance. Maybe not enough for birds and sports, but definitely better than existing mirrorless stuff.

I'm not one of those dummies who thinks MILCs will replace DSLRs wholesale. More choice is better and I don't think an EVF will ever catch up to an OVF. But on the flip side, many folks don't even use the OVFs on their DSLRs in the first place. So getting rid of viewfinders on low end MILCs could work, just as it does on Sony's RX series cameras which are regarded as legitimate photographic tools.

I think that would have been a smarter route for camera makers to take. Seems stupid to have the same sensors behind different + incompatible formats. Yes an EF/F mount mirrorless would have a deeper flange, but that is fine. The cameras would still be smaller and cheaper to make than a conventional DSLR.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 +4 more
Canon EOS 70D Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
QEDNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow