Veteran MemberPosts: 5,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
In reply to flektogon, 9 months ago

flektogon wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

technic wrote:

... I guess Nikon is not going to sell a fixed lens camera that directly competes with their V3 (including a much better lens that is not available for Nikon 1 system).

Exactly! After the V3 announcement I am more and more convinced that there will be no P8000 at all, or if it is then it will be a continuation of the P7xxx series, i.e. using a 1/1.7" sensor.

Interchangable lens cameras don't compete with fixed-lens cameras. You're either "buying a camera" or "building a system". These are two different mindsets, with different price ranges, useful for different scenarios, and attract (mostly) different sets of customers.

Yes, this is (would be) a valid point, but in my opinion the "building a system" around the 1" sensor has a little sense.

It doesn't make sense for *you*, but there are a lot of people for whom it makes all the sense in the world. Just look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1058

A lot of System 1 users there.

There is a lot of other brands having similarly small bodies but equipped with larger sensors, which have difficulty to become "system cameras".

Can you give examples?  Oly/Panasonic's m4/3 system is doing very well, Sony Alpha is doing great.  I dont' know much about Samsung and Pentax/Ricoh efforts - are those what you meant?

Nikon ought to from the very beginning introduce its 1" cameras with decent fixed lenses, exactly what Sony has done with RX100 and RX10.

Well, I'm not in Nikon management, so I don't know what resources they have and what their marketing research indicates.  In general, Nikon is rarely the first to introduce something new and untried - instead, their usually take the time to do it right.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow