Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,383
Like?
"What matters" article on LL
9 months ago

Luminous Landscape has a really well thought through article on why the camera industry is suddenly tanking.  Worth a read, particularly the set of bullets in the middle of the page.  So many of the posts here about AF doesn't work well, metering doesn't work well, too much noise, not enough pixels, and on and on, are really not flaws in the camera, but (mostly unrealistic) expectations that if that one or two functions were better, the photographs taken would be better.

Did you ever see the incredible AF system that Lartigue had?  Weston's auto exposure system was really something else!  Winogrand - his photos would have been so much better if he'd just had more pixels.  Ansel Adams' custom menu choices were awesome!

The cameras have gotten so good at so much that they raise expectations beyond what's technically possible.  And I think they're better than most photographers - I know they're better than me.

My first camera was a 5x7 view camera that my brother gave me (out of a spirit of meanness, I'm still convinced) when I was 10 years old.  I ended up with a nice business shooting portraits of people in the neighborhood with that piece of junk camera.  I still do shoot view camera, and I can tell you that the AF sucks, the program metering is awful, the lenses are slow, compared to my GX7.  If you can't get spectacular photographs, regularly, from m4/3, it's not the camera.

I remind myself every time I want to whine about m4/3 shortcomings, that there are people making a living selling images shot with their smartphones.  What's my excuse again?

It's amazing how much better my m4/3 cameras' AF, metering, noise levels, and lenses got when I began taking responsibility (good or bad) for what the camera produced.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow