What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?
Re: What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*
In reply to bobn2, 5 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

I don't quite agree with that. I had a long argument with regular poster Anders W, who claims the exact opposite of you, that smaller lenses are intrinsically better than big ones. I think where you're wrong and he is also, is the assumption that small lenses and big ones would be built the same way. The quality of a lens is ultimately decided by how much you're willing to spend manufacturing it (and the trade off like most things goes towards getting more for less outlay as progress is made) - but manufacturing trade-offs really are size dependent - at different sizes different manufacturing techniques become feasible and relative prices for different ways of building things change. So, in th end, I don't think its a given that small lenses would be build or designed like big lenses.

One of the physical constraints is that you still use the available glass to build smaller lenses - you cannot change the index of refraction just to squeeze the lens in one direction (FL) but keep the physical aperture the same. As a result, smaller lenses with the same light gathering ability have more extreme design, need more glass, and have more aberrations. The 43 system has some f/2 monster zooms, overweight and overpriced even by American standards; and they are just f/4 equivalent. The Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Lens for MTF is 410g, while the new Sony FE 55/1.8 is 281g, and much better, AFAIK.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow