Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
Re: Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed
In reply to John Carson, 6 months ago

John Carson wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I strongly believe that the Fujis are designed to enhance the enjoyment of the process, not as an almost-invisible means to an end. I almost get the impression sometimes that people use DSLRs as an expensive de-luxe point and shoot, where any thought is reduced to one button and that's it; that's probably why I don't want one.

I think that is just rationalization. Fuji would LOVE to have lightning fast autofocus and would LOVE it if it could make the production of great photos easier. The current limitations are a reflection of the current state of Fuji technology, they don't represent some view about the ideal approach to photography.

I'd actually deviated from the whole AF speed debate there. The manual dials and aperture ring are telling us about the Fuji philosophy, drawing us in to actually thinking about the relationship between the three corners of photography rather than letting the camera choose (I exclude the X-M1 / X-A1 from this). My ex-commercial friend with the 5D always shoots manual with any camera and finds hers counter-intuitive, she's always  spinning a command dial the wrong way and it bugs her; she covets my X-E1 with a manual Nikkor 35mm f2.8 on it, so AF doesn't even figure in her thoughts.

It begs the question whether most people actually want to take snaps rather than photographs (assuming that there's a considerable difference), if you see what I mean.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow