E-M1 Focus problems

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: The words that dare not speak their name
In reply to lnikj, 9 months ago

Following suggestions I have now shot every AF point against a high contrast and a low contrast background and the E-M1 has nailed the focus every time. These were done indoors.

I then wanted to look at the suggested checks of handheld vs tripod and also the difference between an 'ideal' shot and f7.1 + 1/200s.

It's a grey foggy day here so I've not been able to take the sort of shot I would like to check details of the type and size I would like to resolve in a typical landscape shot. I've had to make do with next door's apple tree at 12mm to give some approximation.

This scenes has been shot with the tree conveniently filling the entire central AF point so it makes a good target. All images are converted on Lightroom defaults.

Here is the full scene on a Gitzo at f/4 - 1/640s which is about as good as it is going to get with this lens. Anti-shock is at 1/8s, it is on the 12s timer to dampen vibrations, normal release time and IBIS is off.

Tripod, f/4, 1/640s, AS: .125s, IBIS: off, Timer: 12s

Here is a 100% crop of the tree:

Tripod, f/4, 1/640s, AS: .125s, IBIS: off, Timer: 12s, 100%

Pretty good I'd say. However, things are not as rosy on the tripod at f/7.1 - 200s:

Tripod, f/7.1, 1/200s, AS: .125s, IBIS: off, Timer: 12s, 100%

A significant drop in quality. Diffraction alone?

Taking the camera off the tripod, I then shot the scene handheld at f/7.1 with all 4 combinations of anti-shock on/off and IBIS SIS1 on/off.

First with both on:

Handheld, f/7.1, 1/200s, AS: .125s, IBIS: SIS1, 100%

Then with Antishock on and IBIS off:

Handheld, f/7.1, 1/200s, AS: .125s, IBIS: Off, 100%

Next with Antishock off and IBIS on. THESE ARE MY NORMAL WALKAROUND SETTINGS.

Handheld, f/7.1, 1/200s, AS: off, IBIS: SIS1, 100%

And finally with both off:

Handheld, f/7.1, 1/200s, AS: off, IBIS: off, 100%

Before expressing my own conclusions I would be very grateful for the opinion of others on what they see with these shots.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
 lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow