Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Pepyn
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to DonTom, 6 months ago

Well this forum topic (plus a bunch of reviews) resulted in me today changing my order from a prime (17mm f1.8) to instead purchase the 12-40 with a view to it replacing the need for a bunch of primes (e.g. 12, 17, 25, 45) and ultimately lower cost.

The decision was very much helped along by the fact that I struggle with mid session lens changes - simply put it frustrates me, and I'll often forego a shot simply because of the time / effort / risk of a lens swap.In saying that I do have the 60mm macro as I really want to get into that side of things, although that lens has a steep learning curve! My previous camera was a Pany Z150.

I think my set up will eventually be complete at 12-40, 60mm macro and 40-150 (not PRO).

I must say the 12-40 is not light! (all those primes combined would maybe be lighter?). Nor perfectly balanced on my EM-10. I'm a bit scared holding the camera without a supporting hand on the lens. Optional grip is on the way.

Cheers,

Pepyn

Pepyn's gear list:Pepyn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow