Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
Re: Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed
In reply to 57LowRider, 4 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

There is an onus on the user to engage in an effective manner; there's little to be gained from wailing that the camera's rubbish when the user has failed to engage - look around and ask why other people are doing ok. If you're missing 50% or more of your shots, look first to improving technique and last to reducing expectation. Above all, if you're not a pro, remember it's not the end of the world and that you can learn from the missed shot.

It is a mistake to believe that everyone who points out the autofocus limitations of the cameras is unhappy with them. I love my X-E2 and I am not fretting about its limitations, which I already knew about going in.

However, the purpose of these forums is to give a realistic picture of the strengths and limitations of the hardware, so that new buyers know what they are getting. That means that the gushing enthusiasm of some must be countered by the more critical assessments of others. I am grateful to those users who prepared me for what to expect.

I strongly believe that the Fujis are designed to enhance the enjoyment of the process, not as an almost-invisible means to an end. I almost get the impression sometimes that people use DSLRs as an expensive de-luxe point and shoot, where any thought is reduced to one button and that's it; that's probably why I don't want one.

I think that is just rationalization. Fuji would LOVE to have lightning fast autofocus and would LOVE it if it could make the production of great photos easier. The current limitations are a reflection of the current state of Fuji technology, they don't represent some view about the ideal approach to photography.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow