XF 85-300mm f2.7-3.7?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ZTJ
ZTJ
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 85-300mm f2.7-3.7?
In reply to dotborg, 4 months ago

If it comes as is, I'd buy it. My preference would be something that went to 400mm. Still, despite the nonsense others say, you can do nearly all wildlife with a lens such as this. There are only edge cases you can't work around through diligence, planning, and understanding of your subject matter.

That said, while most patents list multiple scales of a given lens design, this doesn't. However, that does not limit the use of this design to this one scale. Fuji could adjust almost any value in the design and use the relative factorials to get the other adjustments and this patent still applies.

What that means is, it could end up being a longer lens with a smaller aperture. But, I think if Fuji released a 70-300mm class lens with an aperture range 2.8-4, in reality, people will be cheering them on. I used to use a 70-300 4.5-5.6 as a walkaround lens on a Nikon D7000 in many situations. Have people in this thread even been outside? Things can be far away! Often they are!

The most comical thing is people crying about Fuji needing to make primes. Fuji has so many primes already! A very complete lineup! How many primes do you need people? If you also include Samyang APS-C and Zeiss Touit you can have:

1. 8mm f/2.8 (manual focus)
  2. 10mm f/2.8 (coming soon http://www.samyang.co.uk/index.php/new-products/new-samyang-10mm-f-2-8, manual focus, probably huge)
  3. 12mm f/2.8
  4. 14mm f/2.8
  5. 16mm f/2 (manual focus, kinda huge)
  6. 18mm f/2
  7. 23mm f/1.4
  8. 27mm f/2.8
  9. 32mm f/1.8
  10. 35mm f/1.4
  11. 50mm f/2.8 Macro (coming April/May, Zeiss Touit)
  12. 56mm f/1.2
  13. 60mm f/2.4

Did I miss any?

Seriously, people, it's a little ridiculous at this point to worry about primes for the X system. Fuji has everything important covered and should be free to work on better rounding out the capabilities of the system as a whole. Many people do not want to own multiple camera systems and will have no problems sticking a moderately large lens on a body like the X-T1.

Oh and for those complaining about size, have you seen the X-Pro1? That camera is massive! I mean, honestly, it's ridiculously large compared to any other mirrorless camera with autofocus. Stick the OEM grip on there and it is as big as many DSLR. Size is clearly not the only motivator here. That camera has unique functionality that lives outside the scope of pure shrinking of products.

Fuji is building a full standalone real deal camera system and will continue to spread out to more areas of photography besides terrible boring street shots that nobody really cares about anyway.

rant over

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow