FE 24-70 QC

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,602Gear list
Like?
Re: FE 24-70 QC
In reply to Andy Dan, 6 months ago

Andy Dan wrote:

The fact that the Canon 24-105 f4 or that the Nikon 24-120 f4 are sharper than this Zeiss is a really bad result for the Zeiss because the Canikon lenses have more focal lenght so the compromises should be theoretically stronger...

The whole thing sounds like Sony-Zeiss doesn't know how to make good zooms and that puzzles me...

Zeiss makes no zooms or lenses with OSS under its own brand name. I'm not sure Sony actually makes any lenses at all, but rather contracts them out to firms in Japan that do it for them.

There are many compromises in lens design. Sony feels obligated I think to make ones that keep the lenses proportional to their camera bodies. Nikon and Canon would need to make no such compromises. The Canon 24-70 f2.8 has an 82mm front element and weighs 2 lbs. And costs nearly twice as muhc. That's a big penalty for a single f-stop in speed Sony hasn't chosen to make

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow