Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed

Started Mar 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
Re: Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed
In reply to fuji P, Mar 14, 2014

I've been really tempted to say that people who complain about AF speed are just wusses who need to grow a pair, but that's quite unfair (even if there's a seed of truth....).

I tip my hat to smatty for his good advice, it echoes my own experience. First off, these Fuji cameras are not DSLRs, that's clear - yet there seems to be an expectation that they're a seamless evolution of the DSLR: wrong.

Secondly, time has to be spent learning about how to caress them into their best performance in a given situation. It's second nature for me now, with X-E1 and XF 35, to switch immediately to M and hit AF-L when I can't lock in low light. No fuss, no toys out of pram, that's what usually works and I just do it. That's just one example. I didn't learn this the first day I had the camera, that's for sure.

There is an onus on the user to engage in an effective manner; there's little to be gained from wailing that the camera's rubbish when the user has failed to engage - look around and ask why other people are doing ok. If you're missing 50% or more of your shots, look first to improving technique and last to reducing expectation. Above all, if you're not a pro, remember it's not the end of the world and that you can learn from the missed shot.

I strongly believe that the Fujis are designed to enhance the enjoyment of the process, not as an almost-invisible means to an end. I almost get the impression sometimes that people use DSLRs as an expensive de-luxe point and shoot, where any thought is reduced to one button and that's it; that's probably why I don't want one.

Re: kids and Fuji AF, check mostly.unoriginal's stream as he seems to have it down pat http://www.flickr.com/photos/lancec/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow