Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,412Gear list
Like?
Re: Once And For All - All this "Nuts" about Focusing Speed
In reply to fuji P, 6 months ago

I've been really tempted to say that people who complain about AF speed are just wusses who need to grow a pair, but that's quite unfair (even if there's a seed of truth....).

I tip my hat to smatty for his good advice, it echoes my own experience. First off, these Fuji cameras are not DSLRs, that's clear - yet there seems to be an expectation that they're a seamless evolution of the DSLR: wrong.

Secondly, time has to be spent learning about how to caress them into their best performance in a given situation. It's second nature for me now, with X-E1 and XF 35, to switch immediately to M and hit AF-L when I can't lock in low light. No fuss, no toys out of pram, that's what usually works and I just do it. That's just one example. I didn't learn this the first day I had the camera, that's for sure.

There is an onus on the user to engage in an effective manner; there's little to be gained from wailing that the camera's rubbish when the user has failed to engage - look around and ask why other people are doing ok. If you're missing 50% or more of your shots, look first to improving technique and last to reducing expectation. Above all, if you're not a pro, remember it's not the end of the world and that you can learn from the missed shot.

I strongly believe that the Fujis are designed to enhance the enjoyment of the process, not as an almost-invisible means to an end. I almost get the impression sometimes that people use DSLRs as an expensive de-luxe point and shoot, where any thought is reduced to one button and that's it; that's probably why I don't want one.

Re: kids and Fuji AF, check mostly.unoriginal's stream as he seems to have it down pat http://www.flickr.com/photos/lancec/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow