One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
jadot
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Re: One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?
In reply to TQGroup, 9 months ago

TQGroup wrote:

OK, I'm a D600 shooter with a D7100 backup (for reach), and all my friends have D800's. What I suggest is keep the camera that is most different to your Fuji, a camera that will most complement rather than replicate.

For me, the FX D600 is supreme for wide and when I need great DR. The D7100 is fantastic for making a 300mm F4 + TC14eII into a very good F5.6 630mm for around $1,000.

Which Nikon will have the most similar controls to your Fuji so you don't keep hitting the wrong buttons under pressure if you have to swap between cameras... they all can fail, you know!

Finally, what is your shooting style (not types of photos you take)? Which one best fits your headspace, not just your hand?

For me, the D600 won the comparison with the D800 easily, except I only wish the sanitary napkin focus point spread was wider, but, hey, to an old point and recompose shooter, does it really matter?

Good luck with your philosophical choice... and I'd like to hear your reasons when eventually you have to jilt one of a very fine pair!

TQGroup - thanks for your reply - really appreciated, and you made me think about a couple of things.

My wife has the D5100 (or 5200 - I never remember which!) and I hadn't thought of using that for any super reach I might need down the line. That could be an interesting idea and I'd maybe just need to get a 70-200 VR2 for occasional use. The VR1 would probably be fine on DX as well.

You're right about the focus on the D600. I have to ask myself - is it really that annoying? I don't know. I've certainly never thrown the camera down or missed a shot because of it. [It has to be remembered that the D600 does have a little more trouble 'seeing' in the dark. The D800 isn't perfect here, but it is noticeably better in low light - not low light IQ, but low light focus success. This might be important to me].

From a headspace point of view, the D600 is theoretically less  of a camera, and moving to Fuji is in part about minimising my kit, enabling me to get into a less conspicuous way of shooting.

Also the 600 has user modes which I've set up to be of a similkar response to the Fuji's "Q" menu. It might be enough to equalise the balance.

I think I'm going to probably pull the trigger on the D800, and then get more and more used to the D600 before springing for the Df(2?) next year. If getting the Df is the goal then the D800 would go anyway, and the D600 has more in common with the Df. And the Df's sensor is more in line with how I view things. Also, financially, the D800 will command more money today, especially with the D610 release. The D600 will be worth next to nothing in 12 months time.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow