Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
1DanC
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sony SLT
9 months ago

So here's my story in summary.  I have an A77.  I bought this lens, what a great piece of glass, but I started noticing that I was getting a lot of underexposed and inconsistently exposed shots which had the same EV.  This is over a period of a few months.  it started to become very frustrating.  Sometimes you would take the shot and it would work other times it would be underexposed, 2-3 stops.  All salvageable in post but why was I getting the inconsistency.

Has anyone guessed the culrpit!  EFCS, the electronic Front Curtain shutter.  Turn it off and the exposures never faltered.  Turn it on and the exposure was sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Ok took it up with Tamron.  A couple of months later, Tamron disclose that the lens was designed to support the broader base of Sony Mechanical shutters and was not guaranteed to work with EFCS.  ie rule out all SLT cameras.

So where am I now, the camera shop has refunded me the full price of the lens, the importer has stopped importing the Sony version of the lens.  And I just increased the spend to secure a Sony Zeiss 24-70 F2.8.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan C

1DanC's gear list:1DanC's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow