Letter to Fuji about the X100s

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
griddi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Letter to Fuji about the X100s
In reply to Palinarius, 5 months ago

Palinarius wrote:

I really like my X100s. But I do have some issues with the camera. Here's a letter I've sent to Fuji about it.

I purchased an X100s several months ago and haven’t been so excited about a camera in ages. I’m 66 years old and was a photojournalist most of my working career. I’m now a writer, but I still shoot photos.

Two forces influenced me to buy the X100s. First of all, I used to work with a GSW 690 and loved that camera. That’s a real pro’s camera. Unfortunately, I no longer care to shoot film. Secondly, I still have a lot of Leica equipment but am not impressed with Leica’s digital offerings so far. So this Fujifilm jewel looked like the right one.

The camera is very well built and the image quality is superb. But I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is. I thought it was just me, the old guy loosing his marbles, unable to adapt to the new way. But then I started talking to other photographers, including some relatively famous journalists. We all agreed on the same thing: we need a Fuji X100s designed for people who actually shoot news photos. And Fuji is the company that should be able to do it.

I know what you’re asking yourself right now….”Who’s going to buy it?”

The fan boy digital camera field is so crowded right now….and under attack from the iPhone. A simple, durable high quality rangefinder would stand alone in its class. Lots of free publicity would come your way. Canon obviously got lots of working pro input into the interface design on their top of the line cameras. That pro input separates the real from the fake!

With Leicas I shoot with a 28 and a 35. So maybe you could do like you did with the 6x9 cameras and offer a wide camera and a less wide camera. I don’t think changing lenses is necessary. I don’t do it with Leicas.

I hope you’re interested in hearing from photographers. This is a great camera but not yet what a lot of serious photographers are looking for.

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

I have the Fuji X100, and I have absolute no problem with the camera, the settings, menue ec.

So perhaps you are right as you yourself wrote " Old guy unable to adapt to the new ways "

But then I did using for many years a Agfa Silette ( Film ) camera, and I find the Fuji X100 not so very different from the old style Agfa Silete.....

Griddi........

griddi's gear list:griddi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica D-Lux 6 Fujifilm X20 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow