FE 24-70 QC

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: FE 24-70 QC
In reply to Mel Snyder, 9 months ago

I'm going to order mine in April for a May trip. My 28-70 kit lens is better by far than some of the 24-70 samples I've seen. I never suspected Sony of bad copies all through the 16-50PZ discussions, but clearly there are with the lens.

I can't comment on the QC problems since I was one of the lucky ones that got a great 24-70 on my first go around.  But I can tell you that I did buy a 28-70 off of eBay just for yucks.  When you test the 28-70 alone it looks like a good lens on the A7R.  In stand alone pictures it looks like it has good sharpness and no decentering or other obvious problems.  But OMG when you compare it directly to a good copy of the 24-70mm the differences are night and day.  My 24-70 is clearly sharper at F4 than the 28-70 is at F8 at every focal length in the center and corners.  I was actually really pretty surprised.   I only paid $265 for my 28-70 so whether the 24-70mm is worth another $900-1000 is probably a very personal decision but I feel confident saying that there is a very visible difference between a good copy of each lens.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow