Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,890Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?
In reply to Conrad567, 4 months ago

Conrad567 wrote:

I have the 23mm and the 18-55. The 23mm is definitely more capable of creating that artistic feel than the 18-55mm but the 18-55mm is every bit as sharp. If you already have the 35mm, it is VERY capable of creating an artistic feel if that is what you want. So I would say, it is definitely nice to have in the arsenal, but NOT a must have.

As I search through my photos, I rarely ever have a picture jump off of the page that I took with the 23mm. More often than not I can't tell the difference between pictures I took with it or with the 18-55mm zoom. However, I constantly have photos that I took with the 35mm jump out at me and make me say WOW, I TOOK THAT.

Just glancing at your reply, the 23mm and the 35mm lenses are optically very close in performance. One is obviously wider than the other, but disregarding the superior mechanical aspects of the 23mm lens, both should provide the same basic image quality.

If the 35mm creates images that "pop" for you while the 23mm doesn't, there are two things that come to mind.  First, we all tend to discover and gravitate to our preferred focal lengths for the type of shots we like to take as we gain more experience.

Second, the time spent framing your shots taken with the 35mm is very likely the reason these seem to pop for you.  Try moving in on your subjects more when using the 23mm where that is possible, and see if you can get some of those to pop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow