Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Twinion
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
D5200 or D7000 as a backup?
6 months ago

My primary body is a D7100, which I love almost everything about and have quickly learned to tolerate the rest.  I'm now looking for a backup body.  As a backup to an amateur like myself, that means that often it goes unused, not infrequently ends up as the camera I'd hand to someone when they want to take a shot, and perhaps most importantly will end up as a secondary body for my upcoming African safari.  I've read enough posts here and elsewhere to determine that if it's within my means, it's best to have multiple bodies rather than change lenses.

I feel like my best choice is between the 5200 and 7k.  In favor of the 5200:

• Lighter and smaller
  • Flip out screen
  • Better sensor
  • Could probably buy new

In favor of the D7000:

• Weather sealed
  • Better battery, same battery as my D7100
  • Dual Storage Slots (which I've found useful)
  • Focus Motor (which I need for some lenses)
  • Better controls (identical to my primary camera)

On the one hand, I like the idea of having a second camera that is slightly different.  The flip out screen in particular seems nice, and it'd be nice to have a slightly smaller body occasionally.  Also, I love the sensor in my D7100, and although I know for certain that I could get great pictures out of a D7k, why not get a similar 24mp sensor if you can?

On the other hand, the D7k seems like the natural second.  There'd be zero to learn between the two cameras, I could have them set up almost identically, and I've surprisingly found all the features I listed above to be quite useful.  To keep the price reasonable for a second body, I'd probably end up buying used, but my D300 was used and it treated me quite well.

Right now, I feel like the D7000 is the better choice, but it also requires more patience.  I only really need it before my safari this summer, so I can afford to wait around and find a good deal.  What would your preference be?

Twinion's gear list:Twinion's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow