Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to JeffGo, 5 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

Completely agree about the battery grip.

With battery grip it's much harder to fit into camera bag designed for small A7/R size. Also I'd have to buy new L bracket. It is not my ideal option.

I am managing without it but I don't plan on getting the 70-200, which actually weighs more than the Canon version.

Indeed. The weight difference is not very small, 840 vs 760 g, and Sony is also bigger, 72mm vs 67mm filter size. But I will wait to see its optical performance and hope it can match or closer to Canon flagship 70-200L/2.8 IS II (that I also own) at F4.0 and beyond. If yes then I will sell 70-200L/4.0 IS and get this FE zoom with much faster native AF on A7R. I carried 70-200L (f4 IS or f2.8 IS II version) separately in its own pouch (I carried 70-200L4.0 IS in 100-400L's pouch in the trip) crossing my shoulder, which is convenient to swap lenses such as put swap-out lens such as 24-70L II into the pouch when swap-in 70-200L on camera.

I miss the vertical functionality but I am trying really hard to keep the bulk down. As a side benefit, I don't need to find larger bags to carry the gear.

Small/light A7R body is actual my #1 reason to acquire. After getting used to small/light A7R, 5D3 is an enormous brick in my hands (and I need to hold it with both hands). I am getting older so wight/size becoming more and more a key factor.

I just did a quick test in last one hour. I remember I read someone said it's equivalent to add a mass at the bottom of the A7/R when putting a relative big/heavy flashgun into the hotshoe of A7/R. So I put in Canon 430EX II (I don't have any Sony flashguns yet) and tested 35/2.0 IS and 70-200L/4.0 IS hand-held on A7R. I am glad to see noticeable improvement in sharpness hit rate. Now I can get near-consistent sharp photos with 35/2.0 IS at 1/10 sec, and near-consistent sharp photos with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm at 1/60 sec, wow I will do more such tests in the weekend. If I can repeat my experiences consistently maybe getting a Sony HVL-F43AM flashgun (which has similar size/weight as Canon 430EX II) is a good option when the shutter speed falls into the widely reported affected (shutter vibration) range such as 1/30 (or 1/60) to 1/160 sec.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow