How is the SL1 for Shooting Outdoor Sports?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterJon
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
How is the SL1 for Shooting Outdoor Sports?
4 months ago

I've been using the 450D/XSI with a 70-200 f4 L (non-IS) and an 85/1.8 to shoot my kids in their sports, ski racing and soccer.  Especially with ski racing, the keeper rate seems too low.  I use AI Servo with the lenses fairly wide open to get fast shutter speeds and some background blur.  But the camera just can't seem to keep up too often.

The local camera shop employee told me the 100D/SL1 had a far better/faster AF mechanism than my old XSI and would be more than adequate.  And after doing some research, it seems I'd need a 70D or 7D to do much better in that department.  Yet I don't want to lug a big expensive camera around, especially on the ski hill.  Not to mention this camera will also be a general use /travel camera, and I'm kind of a stickler for weight.  I hate lugging around a giant eyesore of a camera. (Would use kit lens on a trip.)  I suppose the 700D is a possible compromise if the AF speed is considerably better.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the SL1 shooting outdoor sports.  And if so, with which lenses?

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow