Camera industry in crisis? Thought provoking article.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,382Gear list
Like?
Aren't Intel and Microsoft having the same issue?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 5 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Everyone keeps talking about dropping camera sales, but what people forget is before digital there was a LOT more competition, and people kept their cameras for decades instead of months...we are just starting to return to that trend where people kept their cameras longer, and camera companies will have to get used to the BLOATED sales returning to NORMAL levels!

Since you mentioned M4/3 the E-M5 I bought is the first camera I bought that I could see myself still using in more than five years from when I bought it.

It seems to me that this is a bit like PC's initially, nobody had them and they sold like caned beer.  Now, everyone that want's one, has one and the sales are leveling off.  Not everyone routinely replaces their 2 year old body -- the darn things have gotten so darn good that there is no need to any longer (if there ever was).  I am thinking, what could Canon do to the 5DIV that would make me trade up.  Maybe put a higher DR sensor in the next one but that is about it (for me anyway) and that might not make me switch it out either.

Long story short -- market saturated (IMO)

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow