ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MisterAndrew
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
I just bought a brand new A700.
8 months ago

Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew, and I’m an amateur photographer. So keep that in mind when considering my opinions. Even though I’m not an expert, I always try my best to do a good amount of research and analyze things thoughtfully.

My first DSLR is the Sony A300. It has been a wonderful camera for me and I’ve gotten some great shots out of it. I’ve had it for a few years now and I have a growing collection of Sony and Minolta lenses. I decided I’d like to step it up a bit and get a semi-pro body. I also wanted to get a new body so I can give my A300 to good friend of mine who hasn’t had a DSLR before. After considering several models I narrowed it down to the A700 and A77. I ultimately chose the A700. The A77 seems to be a very nice camera and has a lot of features like HD video with continuous autofocus, but I’m not completely sold on the translucent mirror design. I think Sony transitioned to that to reduce manufacturing costs and add features I don’t really need in a camera. I’ve also come to the conclusion that the A77 has several disadvantages compared to the A700. These include:

• Reduced battery life due to the EVF and GPS.
  • Does not take CompactFlash like pro cameras should IMHO.
  • Increased startup time (I might miss the shot of a lifetime!).
  • Possibly takes darker photos with higher noise and lower detail.
  • Possibly lower reliability (I've read several accounts of people having to send them back due to various issues).

I’ve also read the A700 has the same IMX021 CMOS sensor as the Nikon D300. Since Nikon still sells the Nikon D300 with video the D300s for $1,700, it seems to me the A700 is still a relevant camera. I decided I wanted a new A700 rather than a used one, but since it’s been discontinued for over 4 years, that was potentially quite the challenge. I was able to find one (A700K) at a small camera store for $699. I made sure they were listed on Sony's list of authorized resellers so that it has the full warranty.

MisterAndrew's gear list:MisterAndrew's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YES!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow