FE 24-70 QC

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: FE 24-70 QC
In reply to Dennishh, 7 months ago

Dennishh wrote:

Just received my second copy of the 24-70 FE and without a doubt it is night and day better than the first one. Could be that Sony/Zeiss is now fixed the initial problems. My lens mount has hardly any play. Tomorrow I'll be testing the zoom against the 35mm 2.8 to see if I need to carry it in my bag at all, my guess is I don't.

Play I am talking about is not at the mount, but between barrels.

35mm may not always be needed, no. In my opinion, the 24-70 performs really well at 35mm. My only beef, is that even a "good copy" will have rubbish corners at 24mm, even when stopped down. I think my Canon 24-105 does better by a fair amount (still not up to prime performance). However, the 24-105 is also much larger, and doesn't AF well on the A7r. The 24-70 is pretty great all around otherwise, especially when looking for a high quality package for travel. Personally, I don't put a lot of weigh on corner sharpness when using a zoom anyway so it's a small gripe. For critical work, it's just more encouragement to use my primes

Overall I am happy with mine. Can't tell you with 100% assurance weather it's a "good copy", but I think it's a fine lens. I can't wait to make some real picture with it.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow