Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?
G1X MkII will be a great camera
4 months ago

After investigating all that we know about the G1XII, which is quite a lot , since announcement; and being somewhat influenced by all the negative comments about it, I decided to see what Sony and Nikon have to offer. The only cameras worthy of note, IMHO, are the newly announced Sony A6000 and the Nikon 1 V3. They are a little smaller, a plus in my view. There sensors are 1” which is okay, but the G1XII is 1.5, also a plus. Better resolution me thinks. Another camera I could wait for is the Sony RX100 III, but when and what we don’t know, except for speculation. (I had the RX100. Didn’t like it! Never felt good about it. Good camera I’m sure, but not for me)

Although the Sony a6000 and Nikon 1 V3 will be, IMHO, great cameras and worthy of anyone wanting to have control over several excellent camera features, and expect great IQ, I have eliminated them from my considerations. For the simple reason they are interchangeable lens cameras. Sony offers 14 lenses for the a6000 and Nikon offers 13 for the 1 V3. In fact I would rather have the Canon EOS M than those two. The M offers only two…….and I know myself from past experience; I would end up with every lens and gadget offered, $1000s of extra expense, big camera bags, a gaggle of gear etc. And alas & alack, I’m the type that, “if they offer extra gear for a camera”? I’ll be moved to buy it. I swore off that behavior years ago. Not only to save money, but also my aching back from hauling pounds of gear around on our travels.

So where does that leave us? This being the “Powershot Forum, I would assume no one else wants extra lenses either. Thus:

G15/16 I have both. Excellent cameras. Highly recommend ‘em.

G1X Have it. Great camera IMO, but some lament its shortcomings, and yes it does have some minor ones.

S95/100/110 Great pocket cameras. Have all three, but use mostly the 95 & 110. I recommend these cameras to anyone who asks about buying a “good” pocket/purse camera.

Canon ELPH 330 HS It’s surprising how good this little camera is. I think its IQ is as good as the S110. Carry it in my shirt pocket when I’m wearing a suit.

I also have Nikons, one Sony, and three Fujifilms. Out of respect for this Forum I won’t elaborate on those. Although I do use the Canons the most.

That leaves? : G1X II and the soon to be announced Nikon P8000. I am reasonably sure I will buy the G1XII, but I will wait until Nikon announces the P8000 just to see “what’s up”! I’m sure it will have a couple of features that will possibly sway G1XII buyers in that direction. But I’ll wager that the G1X II will win out in IQ just because of its sensor. Time will tell, and I’ve learned to be patient. Satisfaction of expectations is always a pleasant thing.

Just like there really are no “bad “automobiles made in the USA and the free world today, there really are no “bad” cameras made by the major camera manufacturers today. Any camera made today would do me and anyone just fine; and I would be happy with it. It would do what it’s designed to do, mark an occasion and give me lasting memories, of good-times, family, friends, and the momentous events in our lives......And luckily capture an occasional pretty bird or a nice tree.

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Nikon 1 V3 Sony a6000 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow