Nikon VS Canon? SLR or Point and Shoot?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?
Re: Nikon VS Canon? SLR or Point and Shoot?
In reply to Teresa in Florida, 8 months ago

Teresa in Florida wrote:

3-13-14

Hello again....I'm still debating whether or not I am going to keep my Canon T5i or return it for a really good point and shoot. A friend of mine owns the Nikon L820 and her pics are amazing with a 30x optical zoom!!!

Does anyone own a Nikon point and shoot or recommend one that also offers high def video?

Please advise

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26402/COOLPIX-L820.html

-- hide signature --

Teresa in Florida

My advice would be borrow your friend's L820 next time you see her, pop in your own card, and try 20-30 shots.    See if your results are as amazing.

You can use your DSLR in auto modes, this is when the camera does your thinking for you.   That will basically give you a large expensive P&S with a large sensor.   Unfortunately, in tricky situations, camera thinking often fails.    It gets wrong things in focus, blows critical areas out or drowns them in shadow,etc.    The power of DSLR is in control.    Control requires understanding.    Understanding how the scene is lit, where the highlights and where are the shadows.   Understanding the light will give you an idea about exposing the scene - not the generic camera way, but according to your own vision.   Understanding the effect of aperture.  Understanding, for example, that at f/14, you start seeing diffraction creeping in, robbing image of its sharpness.    Not to mention an aperture that small really cuts the light, making camera select an unusable shutter speed.   Understanding shutter speeds and their relation to focal length.   Understanding that only the Terminator can hand/hold a 1/8 properly.   Understanding when and how to use flash - which requires understanding how flash exposure works.   Understanding how to precisely focus on your subject of choice and how to achieve the needed depth.

Without understanding all that, your best chance is leaving that dial on green square and hoping the camera can figure it out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow