Are ALL manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
The SIMPLEST solution is...
In reply to Conrad567, 7 months ago

Conrad567 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Conrad567 wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Not too long ago i posted some photos asking why my Rokinon 85mm was so darn soft and unsharp on my XE1, what a disappointment!

Some folks have posted photos with a Voiglander 35 1.4, the Nikkor 50 Ais 1.2, and some other ones. Do all older wide aperture manual focus primes give you that very "soft" output, just as i have seen with my own Rokinon 85mm??

Is there a prime out there that gives you sharp photos at the wider aperture? I've just discovered that this is a "normal" behavior when using primes like this in a Xtrans camera, because i sure didn't experience this with my former D7000 when i was getting very very sharp images with my 85mm. Maybe the problem is the adapters on the fuji themselves?

Any help here? I guess i might as well just get the fuji 35 1.4.

I have shot with everything attached to my X-PRO1, from Contax, Leica, Nikon, Canon, Voightlander etc. All of the pre-aspherical lenses are soft wide open. ALL OF THEM WITH AN APERTURE LARGER THAN f2.8. But once you start shooting with the aspherical lenses that disappears to a large extent.

Most of them are soft from CA's. Most of them dramatically improve by f2-2.8.

Canon FD 50mm @ f2.0

Canon FD 50mm @ f1.2

Like i told Nick above, why is it that my manual focus rokinon is damn sharp at 1.4 on a nikon body AND on my S5 Pro? But on the XE1 is soft as hell. I don't think is the lenses themselves, so it has to be the distance of the adapters.

Am I crazy??

-

If your Rokinon is a modern lens with a modern design, then I would say that adapter is definitely your problem.

... I'll just sell my Nikon mount Rokinon and will buy the Fuji mount one  

Rokinon actually makes one for fuji and that will be THE BEST thing to do.

When i get it i will test it and will discover what the real issue is for sure.

Thank you!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow