What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob657
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Re: What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*
In reply to Pasmia, 5 months ago

Well, this brought on lots of comments!  As a former Canon but now long term micro four thirds and now Olympus OMD EM1 shooter, I'd like to "refocus" the discussion a bit (pun intended!)

At this stage, virtually all decent cameras will far outperform most photographers' skill levels, today's cameras produce far better images than those of only a few years ago.  While I agree there are differences in sensor capabilities (ff being better) there are numerous other factors at play -

Technical:

Lens quality, post processing (major issue), in camera processing, camera stabilization (ie - IBIS, IS, etc.), color calibration, printing media and/or viewing method, etc.

Artistic:

Artistic vision, light quality and direction, framing and composition, etc.

Of the two, artistic is by far the most important, most subjective and least discussed!  We've all seen stunning i-phone shots and lousy FF shots, it's the "Vision thing" that makes the difference. Full disclosure, I'm guilty as charged of spending most of my time on the technical.

To the OP, I'd like to suggest one technical thought - when all else fails, go back to the basics.  I suspect you'll find using HDR, bracketing, etc. may not be as important as just getting the correct exposure in the first place, perhaps by ETTR (I find a significant benefit on my EM1 from this.) You might also consider taking time to revisit your PP techniques as this can be critical to being able to fulfill your artistic vision.

All systems have compromises and only you can decide what works best for you, but I suspect these ideas might help increase your enjoyment of your current system.

Best,

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow