How many shutter actuations should I expect? (incl. web tool to check yours)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
How many shutter actuations should I expect? (incl. web tool to check yours)
9 months ago

There's a well-known web tool that reports the current actuation count on nearly any Alpha camera ever made. You just upload any recent, original (out-of-camera) JPG or ARW to the site, it reports the count and destroys the file.

(You can Google "alpha shutter count" to get the link yourself, but it's http://tools.science.si/index.php )

Any thoughts on how many shutter actuations it would be reasonable to expect from my aging NEX-5? I have an A6000 on pre-order and am trying to decide whether to hold onto my NEX-5 as a 2nd body, unload it on eBay, or give it away to a friend. I'm assuming the fact the body is mirrorless improves life vs. a DSLR/DSLT, although I suspect the lack of an EFCS might be a minus in that equation.

At the moment my actuation count is just north of 127,500... it was ~95 when I bought it used for $340, so I feel I've already gotten my money's worth!

For those of you who've used your camera heavily for a number of years I'd appreciate knowing the following:

- Does your working camera have a current shutter count substantially higher than my 128k?

- If you had a camera shutter crap out, what was the shutter count recorded on one of the last original image files you have from that camera?

Thanks!

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow