Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,732Gear list
Like?
Stealth, no worries
In reply to rickreyn, 6 months ago

rickreyn wrote:

You have a point, as do others. I do agree about the primes being less obtrusive. The 12-40 is a substantial lens for a MFT camera. I'd would like a more stealthy system in some cases. The other thing is when the 40-150mm pro comes out, I can see having that lens and then be done. --
http://www.gloriography.com

Yes, it's a chunky lens, and yes I did lie, I am now reading the other replies......

Stealthy in that there's no front white writing on the lens, it just looks a bland black from the front.

More to the point I use it on my E-PL5 and only ever use the LCD.

By not holding a camera to the face makes people more relaxed as they can see you.

Better still is street shooting, set up somewhere for lunch or coffee streetside and use the LCD for touch shoot and catch passers-by.

They just think you are fiddling with the camera. Nobody at all flinched or shied away when I did a lot of this for the first time on a rare trip to Sydney. Took dozens of shots of passing crowd and even people walking directly towards me and nobody objected like they would if I had held the camera to my face. To me they are my personal shots and I will never publish them here or anywhere to respect their privacy, even though it was a public street.

Back to chunkiness, that makes it nicer in the hand as there's some mass to the combination and it seems now that I can shoot a bit slower before I need to turn on stabilisation. It still fits nicely in my small Kata DC441 bag, in fact there will soon be two bodies with lenses always attached in that same bag.

The 40-150/2.8 Pro will be a monster lens, not the thing that you would carry every day unless you had a definite known deliberate purpose for it, way better for a casual tele zoom is the Panasonic 45-150mm as it weighs nothing and takes little space in the bag.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow