ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jovits
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Investing in a 6D or 5D Mark III
8 months ago

Hello,

For the past 2 years I've used different DSLR's but none of them were professional. Lately , my passion for photography got stronger and started reading books, taking classes etc. I felt like it is the time for me to get an upgrade to a full frame sensor and invest a little bit more in lenses as well.. But I have some trouble deciding wether I should get a Canon 5D Mark III or 6D. Tough question right? I'm more interested in portraits, glamour/fashion photography (since I travel a lot I might use it for some street photos as well) . I'm most likely not going to take nature/sport/landscape photos.

I have around $4000  dollar to spend ( I could go a little over that) . At this moment on Amazon.com I could get the :

Canon 6D (Body only) for about $1700 US
Canon 5D Mark III (Body only) for about $3250 US

After reading a lot of different reviews and forums I'm aware of the differences between these two fine cameras. However , I still have trouble choosing.

If I get the 5D Mark III , I won't have so much money to spend on lenses. The most I could get is the kit lens which is a 24-105mm f/4.0 IS and maybe go a little over my budget and get a 85mm f/1.8 as well.

If I get the 6D, I would be able to get a 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM (around $2000) and also I could get the 85. f/1.8 as well.
My question is , should I get the 5D Mark III with that kit lens  and wait until I have some extra money to get other lenses or get the cheaper 6D and get my first professional lens right away?

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with other brands lenses (such as Tamron or Sigma) and not sure if I should consider these, but the price looks really good on them. (for example the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 is only around a $1000)

The reason I keep talking about the 24-70 because I would use it as my main lens . I now there are other lenses for portraits and I will get them in time, but I need a start now.

If Canon follows the pattern they should come out with Mark IV around the end of next year. I was thinking maybe I could get the 6D now with the pro lens and by the time Mark IV comes out I'll have more lenses and money already, so I can sell the 6D and get the Mark IV ( which I assume would be a no doubt better camera then these two I'm talking about right now)

The only thing I personally miss from 6D is the advanced AF system, which I think would come really handy in portraits.

I hope you guys could follow my thoughts and I really appreciate any advice/help you can give!
Cheers!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow