Sony E-lenses or FE-lenses on Sony a6000

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E-lenses or FE-lenses on Sony a6000
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

If you can afford to buy FE lenses for your A6000 and you definitely intend to go FF in future then it makes sense.

Just bear in mind that the 24mp apsc sensor has a higher pixel density than the current full frame sensors and is more demanding in terms of resolving power. FE lenses won't perform at their full potential.

Also, there are advantages to using apsc lenses other than cost - for example, E lenses tend to be a bit smaller and have OSS.

There's no point making a significant investment in apsc lenses if the A6000 is just a stop-gap, but I'd probably be inclined to have a couple of E lenses which are optimized for use on that camera.

Will FE lenses fully support the hybrid PDAF on the A6000 and allow the fast AF that is one of the A6000's main selling points?

There is no reason to believe that FE lenses will not get the hybrid AF treatment. IIRC, an early video about a6000's AF involved FE 55.

As for resolution challenges, use of FF lens on crop sensor is common and has its benefits (better corner to corner performance since the cream of the image circle is cropped). If one happens to own a Canon, Nikon or Sony A-mount APSc body, except for likes if Sony DT 35/1.8, Sony DT 50/1.8 and Nikon DX 35/1.8, chances are any prime (and longer zooms) being used on 16-24MP APSc bodies (compares to 36-54MP FF) are FF lenses.

If one has a Sony a77 and wants a sports telezoom or wildlife telezoom, the choice is usually a 70-200/G, 70-300G or 70-400G, all FF lenses. In fact people like them better on APSc bodies due to crop factor (the 70-400 works like a 105-600 on FF).

Good points!

I use legacy lenses a lot of the time on my NEX and they're all full frame. I was thinking specifically of the FE 24-70 at the time I wrote my post - mainly because that lens didn't get a great score on the NEX-7 in a recent test which lead me to think that maybe it isn't wise to assume that a good lens on a FF camera necessarily makes a good lens on apsc, despite the obvious advantages of a crop sensor (cropped corner/edges). Maybe the test results are misleading.

The existing FE primes are very good by all accounts so should pose no issues whatsoever.

Good to clear up the hybrid pdaf 'issue'!

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow