Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to rickreyn, 9 months ago

Yes, I think the 12-40 is good enough to replace the primes if IQ is your concern. One reason to keep the primes is size. The primes are very discreet, I visited a 16th century church in Mexico and they were charging a small fee for photographing inside the building. The fee varied according to the size of the camera, being DSLR the most expensive. When they saw my OMD with the 12mm mounted they charged me the point-and-shot fee. I'm not saying that you save money, I just could see how people perceive the small lens on small camera, prime lenses are less intimidating.

On the other hand, one reason to have the 12-40 mounted all the time is weather sealing. Two days ago I went for a boat ride with my wife and friends. I was seating on the front of the boat, camera on my hands. A heavy boat passed by and we got a huge wake that ended up splashing the entire front of our boat. The wave splashed right on my camera. Everyone looked at me after the incident expecting me to cry for my soaking wet camera, well, if I had a prime lens mounted I would be crying the loss of my camera but since I had the 12-40 mounted I just dried it out with a towel and kept taking photographs normally.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow