Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dave bren
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Making the leap to Nikon?
7 months ago

I'm at a decision point and wanted to get some thoughts. I'd describe myself more or less as an advanced amateur - taken a few classes, read some books - who takes pictures of my kids, sporting events, family trips, etc. The only real "shoots" I do are mostly nature and landscapes while out hiking. Right now my desire to advance my skills is exceeded by my available time (can't wait for the kids to babysit themselves).

I have an Olympus e520 10MP given to me as a gift several years ago with the basic 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses. I just broke the lens mount on the 14-42 so am at a decision point. I can get a used all-purpose 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 for around $200 as a replacement that has great reviews and should let me expand my skills and capabilities and improve my images quite a bit.

Or as an alternative, I'm eyeing a refurbished Nikon D5100 on Adorama with the 18-55VR kit for $429. Seeing how Olympus seems to be shifting focus to mirrorless bodies and micros 4/3 lenses, maybe now's the time to switch to a different system all together.  If I do that, do you think the D5100 is a good best-bang-for-the-buck option given what/how I shoot.

As for lenses...how do you think the kit 18-55 f/3.5.5.6 VR lens would stack up to what I'd get from an upgrade on my current setup?  And since I'd be out a telephoto if you have thoughts on approachable (again, I'm fine with used/refurb) lenses I could add to the basic D5100 kit, let me know.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD5100KR.html

Thanks much, sorry for the rambling.

Nikon D5100 Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow